Monday, November 2, 2009

An Amazing Visit (Ellis Hall)


Last week I went down to have some wine at Soundbox on Wednesday, and our friend Bryon Holly was tasting (by the way, he works at CostPlus on Hawthorne - go buy some wine from him), and invited his friend ELLIS HALL down to play some piano and sing. Ellis is a blind, black man, and he is supremely talented as I found out throughout the night. He walked (yes, he's blind) around the stage, playing every instrument on the stage - bass-guitar-drums-piano-vocals- and killing it at every turn. He covered some Paul Simon, Otis Redding, played some of his own stuff, and just absolutely blew me away, so much so, that I had to write how much I respected his musical talent, and how much I enjoyed his music. These days, I listen to almost TOO MUCH music, and the one thing that's always missing for me is what I call MOVEMENT: the ability to take me somewhere else. Ellis, thank you for giving me movement last week, and hopefully, if I get my way, you'll be playing at Saint Rocke regularly and blessing the south bay with your music. check him out...and keep your ear out for when he's playing next.

No comments: