Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My First Sexton Experience


I was timid. 

Sure, I'd heard a lot of great things, but never knew what to expect.

I've seen videos, but they didn't compare to the real thing.

I heard stories, but feeling it for yourself...well, it's almost indescribable.

It was a venture I won't soon forget.

If you've never heard Martin Sexton, let me tell you, he is an artist that lives up to his name. There is so much emotion in every song. It touches you. (Sometimes in the "no no places".)

It can be slow and moving, yet erratic and powerful. You never know what's next, and you're hanging on every word. Every note. 

Waiting, Anticipating. Totally feelin' it.

He was gentle at first. 

With lighthearted songs like "Happy" and "Grateful", I embraced my inner hippie and pictured myself on a VW bus selling dandelions and LSD at Burning Man. I was on an upward climb of positive energy.

But Martin soon grew very passionate. With his intricate, technical musicianship, it was as if his hands were independent of his body. He kept such a sweet, innocent smile while his hands performed feats of amazement. 

Oh, those hands.

 It was a lot to handle, but never too harsh.

 Just enough. 

The rest of the crowd was as excited as I was. He was interactive and innovative. Captivating. 

We were all singing along, on cue..."Group Sexton?" 

With 200 of my closest music friends, it wasn't exactly intimate. But Martin made me feel like we were the only 2 people in that room.

I will never forget it, and I want more.


Thanks, Martin.


I wonder if he'll call......

No comments: